Archive for December, 2014
Original post by Columbus Underground
2014 was a big year for urban development all throughout the downtown Columbus region. Construction cranes could be found overhead in many busy areas while countless other new infill projects were announced all throughout the entire year. While some bemoan the loss of parking or worry about the loss of small town charm, others remain excited that the added density will bring about more walkability, new retail businesses, and improved neighborhood aesthetics.
When we polled our readers about their favorite development projects of the year, the one that stood out above all others was Grandview Yard, located in Grandview Heights. This 100-acre brownfield redevelopment has been well underway for several years, but experienced some major milestones to make 2014 a significant point in time for the project. New openings included the Giant Eagle Market District, Hofbrauhaus, our very own Keystone Apartments and a second parking deck. The development earned its LEED certification. And most importantly, a massive new office campus for Nationwide Insurance was announced, which will bring 3,000 employees to the site by 2019.
For more information, visit www.grandviewyard.com.
Perhaps you’ve heard, but The Arena District, in downtown Columbus, is kicking off their 15th Anniversary by hosting the 2015 Honda NHL All-Star Game at Nationwide Arena, just a short walk away from our downtown Columbus apartments! As the District celebrates its 15th birthday, it will be decked out the entire month of January for the 2015 NHL All-Star Game! To help prepare you, we have compiled a list of things to do during the All-Star Weekend, January 23-25th!
Things to Do
The Columbus Blue Jackets want everyone to know that the 2015 NHL All-Star Weekend is more than just the game at Nationwide Arena on January 25. In fact, there will be plenty of events outside of Nationwide Arena in the surrounding areas of the Arena District. Everyone is encouraged to participate, even if you don’t have tickets for the Skills Competition or Game itself. You can still purchase tickets to the game by clicking HERE. The following is a list of fun activities you can participate in for All-Star Weekend:
- The Columbus Blue Jackets All-Star Winter Park across the street from Nationwide Arena will have an NHL-sized rink with 500 bleacher seats, skate rental and four heated locker rooms. The park will be open Jan. 16-25.
- There will be more than 50 hours of public skating plus private events and youth hockey games, said Larry Hoepfner, Blue Jackets executive vice president of business operations.
- A 34-foot high and 85-foot wide snow slide stretching 175 feet along Nationwide Boulevard next to the arena will be in use Jan. 22-25. The slide will have three lanes and starting points at various heights.
- There will a “Hockey House” in the park in the days prior to the 2015 Honda NHL All-Star Game that will feature food, beverages and live music. Adjacent to that will be the “Kids Zone” with family-friendly activities including a replica of the Blue Jackets locker room. Both tents will be heated and there will be outdoor fire pits. See plans HERE.
- A 5-kilomoter run/walk will be held Jan. 24 beginning at Nationwide Arena. There is a limit of 4,000 participants and Hoepfner said 1,300 have already registered. Click HERE to register now!
- The Greater Columbus Convention Center will be site of the 2015 NHL Fan Fair from Jan. 22-25 with more than 200,000 square feet of displays and interactive activities. Buy advanced tickets for $12 and save $4. Click HERE to purchase.
- Nationwide Boulevard in and around the arena will be illuminated by more than 350,000 LED lights on 176 trees from Jan. 15-25.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation will host a party Jan. 22 to benefit the fight against pediatric cancer.
“We think we’re the first city to go the NHL with the idea of tying in such a grand civic plan that has to do with tying in their activities to ours,” said Linda Logan, executive director of the Greater Columbus Sports Commission.
“What I say to folks is if you come to Columbus you’ll have fun,” Mayor Michael B. Coleman said. “That’s what we’ll have all weekend. It will be fun not just for those (in Nationwide Arena), but for all of central Ohio to enjoy at the same time.”
The goal is to set the standard for future NHL All-Star Game Weekends. We have beautiful arena here with the proximity to hotels and a convention center, all right here in the Arena District which is very unique to Columbus. We want to take advantage of that and showcase Columbus to the entire world.”
Where to Park
Not only does the Arena District offer many different parking garages, all of them close to Nationwide Arena, NHL Fan Fair and All-Star Winter Park,we also offer pre-paid parking. Pick your spot and pre-pay for your Arena District parking to save time and guarantee your spot!www.arenadistrictparking.com
If you are looking for ways to ring in the New Year, you have a myriad of options to choose from. This New Year’s Eve, downtown Columbus Ohio’s event calendar is packed full of fun options for you to celebrate the start of 2015!
THE CITY IS YOURS TONIGHT
Celebrate New Year’s Eve at the Hyatt Regency’s famous party!
Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2014 from 8pm–2am
NYE 2015: The City is Yours Tonight Hosted by Hyatt Regency Columbus Join us for our annual NYE party, over 33 years in the making. In addition to all you can eat and drink, enjoy 70,000 square feet of music from the following entertainers: The Personnel, Schucking Bubba Deluxe, DJ Ant and more!
NEW YEAR’S EVE GALA
Celebrate New Year’s Eve at the Renaissance Hotel
Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2014 from 8;30pm–2;30am
Celebrate New Year’s Eve 2015 in downtown Columbus at the Renaissance Hotel. Tickets include Full Open Bar, a variety of Hors d’oeuvres, and music by Ohio’s top DJs playing Top 40, Hip Hop, and Mash-ups! Dress to impress at this fancy holiday gala!
COST: Standard party tickets start at $109, VIP tickets (includes “Premium” liquor at Open Bar) start at $149. Group packages are available. To find out more or to purchase tickets Click Here.
NYE WINTER WONDERLAND
Celebrate New Year’s Eve at Hollywood Casino!
Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2014 from 7pm–2am
Ring in the New Year at the coolest party in town! Enjoy live music from the Perfect 10 Band in the o.h. Lounge! Receive complimentary party favors and take photos with our “Snow Angel” show girls! Then celebrate the New Year with a balloon drop at midnight!
COST: Free Admission. Pay to play
FIRST NIGHT COLUMBUS
Celebrate New Year’s Eve at COSI
Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2014 from 5pm–11pm
A spectacular New Year’s Eve celebration in downtown Columbus with fireworks, live entertainment, activities and fun for all ages! On December 31st, First Night Columbus actively engages the downtown community with entertainment, transforming the city into a stage where each individual is free to choose what to see and do. For a full list of activities Click Here.
COST: $9 Pre-Sale Online, $10 at the door
NYE BLUE JACKETS VS. MINNESOTA WILD FAMILY PACKAGE
Celebrate New Year’s Eve with the Columbus Blue Jackets
Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2014 from 4:30pm–12am
Ring in the New Year with cannon fire at Nationwide Arena for the Blue Jackets final home game of the year. The Jackets take on the Minnesota Wild at 7 pm. Start the evening out with a FREE pre-game skate in the OhioHealth Ice Haus from 4:30-6:30 pm before you head over the the game, with the special New Year’s Eve Dispatch Family Value Pack.
COST: Get a ticket, food and more starting at $30 per person for New Year’s Eve with the Columbus Blue Jackets!
Happy New Year! Bring on 2015!!!