In this week’s Up Front in Cbus we decided to make a blog specific to perfecting a low-key Thanksgiving. While we remain thankful for all of the positive moments, our friends and family and our love for the holiday season, Thanksgiving is shaping up to look a bit different than in years past. While many are celebrating small, there are still a lot of fun ways to make a big impact! Make the most of your low-key 2020 Thanksgiving with these ideas and tips.
Virtual Thanksgiving Dinner
The best part of Thanksgiving is sharing a meal with loved ones. If you can’t all be in the same dining room this year, one way to recreate that feeling is for households to eat together over video chat. Tools like Zoom, Skype, BlueJeans and more allow multiple individuals to see and hear each other, no matter how far away they may be.
To keep things fun, engaging, and still centered around food, try creating a shared spreadsheet amongst your group with a menu of different recipes. You can all cook the same dishes, and present the finished products over your video call. For the best groceries and ingredients in Columbus, we recommend Giant Eagle Market District, which is extremely close for residents of Grandview Yard.
Skip the Cooking
If you prefer to skip the fuss of cooking and baking this year, then you’ll enjoy the multitude of delicious, professionally prepared and ready-to-go Thanksgiving meals offered by several great restaurants in the Arena District and Grandview Yard, including:
- Buca di Beppo
- Offers a hot & ready-to-serve Thanksgiving feast for 3-6 which includes sliced white turkey meat, spicy Italian sausage stuffing, green beans, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie.
- Sunny Street Cafe
- Sleep in and eat a late Thanksgiving breakfast featuring Sunny Street’s signature Pumpkin Pancakes!
- Spice up your holiday with Nada’s tasty array of Mexican-inspired flavors, all available to-go!
- Hofbrauhaus Columbus
- You can’t celebrate a low-key Thanksgiving without some Columbus-brewed beer to quench your thirst! Stop by Hofbrauhaus in Grandview Yard and pick up a growler for yourself or as a host gift.
- R Bar Arena + Boston’s
- Looking for a more classic meal you can sit back and enjoy with the Thanksgiving football games? Both Boston’s and R Bar Arena District make the essentials you need to have yourself a great and relaxing day.
Decorate with Festive Flair
If your Thanksgiving gathering isn’t happening this year, you can still celebrate the holiday by decorating your space with minimalist fall-themed accents like pumpkims, dried flowers, colorful maize, leafy garlands and plaid decor. Even if you live alone, there are many ways to bring Thanksgiving to life inside your Columbus apartment!
One thing that will boost your mood, and your confidence is a visit to the salon — whether visiting loved ones or friends in a small group or over video chat, you’ll feel and look your best. Pamper yourself with a makeover at MY SALON Suite in Grandview Yard, which offers hair, nails, skincare and spray tan appointments all under one roof. Or, you can try a new way to stay active by booking a full-body workout at Club Pilates Grandview Yard.
Make it Memorable
What better way to reflect on the past year—and remember where you were during historical events—than by making a Thanksgiving 2020 Time Capsule you can open years later? Grab an empty shoebox or large container, decorate it and fill it with objects like newspaper clippings, a note from yourself with thoughts about the pandemic, a list of all the shows you binged, a patterned facemask, etc. Get as creative and personal as you want with this unique project!
We hope you have a safe and happy Thanksgiving 2020!